Re: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015, AC wrote:

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:30:27 -0700
From: AC
Subject: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and
    Server 2003 support

On 2015-08-26 06:56, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On 26 August 2015 at 07:42, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Stephen John Smoogen!

Anyway, on the topic: All I could ask is to give us a notice when the final
build for XP is available, so that we could prepare own mirrors.

You will need more than mirrors. You will need to  set up a parallel
stack of builders and other tools because this will be a fork of
anything compiled against Cygwin from then on. You will also need to
look at how you are handling any bugs or problems utilities have in
rebuilding (but that is a longer term issue). Having had to do this in
the past, it will be better if you try to call this something
different. The reason being is that if you keep the name then when a
support ticket comes in from a user with Cygwin is it yours.. is it
the one they downloaded from the main site.. is it a version in
between?

You're misunderstanding my daily use of Cygwin. I'm not compiling anything,
not cygwin-related anyway.
I'm using it as a bridging gap between sane scripting abilities of dash/make
and insane requirements of compiling tools such as BRCC.
And since Vista+ doesn't have support for 16-bit subsystem, I need XP VM to
compile my projects.

Ah ok. If it is just a one man operation then an archive of the trees
at a certain time are all that is needed. If you have a large Windows
XP environment you are rolling out something to then you need to make
sure you can compile and deal with the 'forked' version... which I am
guessing that some segment of XP admins have to do.

Is there a document somewhere that can describe this process of making a
mirror?  I have two XP machines that I won't be able to upgrade and I
just want to make sure I can reinstall Cygwin packages if needed.

There is one other alternative to having your own historical mirror that I will plug: the Cygwin Time Machine

It is a constant archive of all versions of Cygwin going back to 2002 (32-bit) and 2013 (64-bit), added to daily as newer versions of Cygwin are released. Works with the standard Setup install tool.

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com