Re: X: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

On 12/08/2015 07:22, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
At 2015-08-07 11:26, Jon TURNEY was heard to say:
You might try modifying startxwin to remove the -q from xauth -q to
see if that reveals a bit more information.

I finally got round to run this suggested test too. The first time I try
to start X I get the following output:

$ XAUTHORITY="" startxwin /usr/bin/emacs
Using authority file /home/<username>/.serverauth.1076
Writing authority file /home/<username>/.serverauth.1076
Using authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority
xauth:  file /home/<username>/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /home/<username>/.Xauthority does not exist
Using authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/<username>/.Xauthority

Could this be a timing issue while writing to a network drive? Remember
that we use roaming profiles here.

Yes, I think that the fact it's a network drive is the significant difference.

But the failure seems utterly crazy. xauth is used to write a file, and then moments later another instance of xauth claims it doesn't exist.

I've no idea if this is a problem with xauth, cygwin or your networked file system. Do you know what kind of device the network share is on?

There was another report of some problems with xauth and network file system (see the thread starting at [1]), but the symptoms seem very different. Nevertheless you might like to try with xauth -i to see if the behaviour is any different.

Possible workarounds:

You could edit /usr/bin/startxwin to change 'enable_xauth' to 0, or set the XAUTHORITY env var to a local path

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00398.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer