Re: db_home setting in nsswitch.conf is ignored.

Thank you both for trying to help me out. I'm primarily a web
developer and lack much of the system admin knowledge that would
definitely help in this situation.

> > Yes, HOME is set in the Windows environment and I am not able to change it.
>
> How so?...
>
> > With the "SET" command in a Windows command prompt I can see:
>
> > HOME=SERVER/USERS5:USERS\SHAUN
>
> That's suspicious. So many symbols not allowed to be there.

Not only does it look strange, but I can't tell where it's being set.
Under System > Advanced > Environment Variables, there is no
HOME variable set. When I put one in, it's ignored. If I type
"set home" from the command prompt I get:

HOME=SERVER/USERS5:USERS\SHAUN
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\shaun

I guess that would suggest the admins are using it to build up
the full path dynamically for some reason. I'll need to talk to
them about making any modifications.

> On a second look into your OP, I'm also a bit puzzled about the
> settings you made in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

>From the documentation, it looked like "db_home: /home/%U" should
solve my problems. When that didn't have any affect, I was
just grasping at straws. I didn't try those all at once,
I just wanted to show the options I had tried.

Cygwin works perfectly in my home environment and on a virtual
machine I have at work using a standard Windows installation. My
work environment has caused problems with other programs in the past,
but it seemed like this HOME variable situation could be
bypassed by the "/etc/nsswitch.conf" file. I'll talk with the admins
about Cygwin and see if they want to help me get this issue
worked out. Thanks again for your efforts.