Cygwin ssh and Windows authentication

I'm still quite new to Cygwin. I'm using the most recent version to install the ssh component on Server 2012R2 member server since it happened to become a requirement for certain users. The problem I have is to understand how to allow access for domain groups. I read the new version doesn't even need the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files any more but I couldn't see any explanation as to how to allow users or groups permission to ssh to the cygwin sshd server. Running ssh-host-config answering yes to all questions except the one for using other user than the cyg_server I set up the ssh daemon. Not knowing any other way I created the /etc/passwd file with $mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd which dumped all local users into the file. I successfully added a domain user with $mkpasswd -u [domain_user] -D [domain] >> /etc/passwd. This worked just fine creating the /home/[user] folder I think although I haven't checked if it didn't get created earlier since I installed Cygwin under that user account. No idea though how to get this working without the use of /etc/passwd file. I then created the /etc/group file and added my selected domain user group to it. Unfortunately in this case members of the group cannot connect via ssh. I don't know if there is a way to list all users including group members with access permissions. $net user lists only users. I tried $net group but this seems to be limited to DCs only which I have no access to. Could someone please explain how can this be set up and what tellls Cygwin who can connect and who can't?