Re: Telnet / SSH connection timeout on LAN

On Jul 10, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

>> Consider all the disk I/O required.  In its default mode, rsync must do a
>> full directory tree scan on the directory to be transferred, on *both* ends.
>> For each file with a different mtime or size, it must then recompute all the
>> hashes in that file, again on both sides.
>
> Wrong. In default mode, rsync only care about timestamp and size.
> It will not go on hashing crusade unless explicitly told to.

You misunderstood what I wrote.  Given a changed mtime or file size, rsync then must re-read the file on both sides in order to generate a series of checksums on chunks of the file in order to determine which parts of the file have changed, so that it transfers only the changes.  See:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync#Determining_which_parts_of_a_file_have_changed

If you skip this step, you must transfer the entire file contents to the other side, since a difference only in the mtime and/or file size doesnât tell you which parts of the file have changed.