mysql - poor performance when restoring from large mysqldump backup

Hello.

I am trying to restore a backup of our database in order to examine the data state three weeks ago.
Backup is 1GB large SQL text file created by mysqldump.
After many attempts I found this:
Processing of backup file runs fluently in the beginning, several tables are successfully restored, including table event_log 3x10e6 row big. Processing hangs after cca one hour of run during insert-s to table student_grade - this is approx 6x10e6 row big. (Exact place differs in every attempt.) Mysqld process is running as before: 13%CPU, 187MB RAM, but HDD activity is now very low. Open connection to mysqld is not possible. I was waiting that mysqld will recover more than six hours, but the situation has not improved. All this occurs on my workstation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional x64, Cygwin 32-bit, mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.41, for CYGWIN (i686) using readline 6.3.

On the other hand I tried to restore the same backup file on linux machine (Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 4GB RAM, CentOS release 6.6 (Final), 32-bit, mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.73, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386) using readline 5.1). Whole database was successfully restored after cca two and half hours of run.

Can I tweak something in mysql or cygwin to improve restore (inserts) performance?
Any other suggestions, please?

--

.: Vlado :.