Re: using fortran common block from dll created by gfortran

Thanks for the notes.

I guess the first thing I'm trying to figure out is:

- is my test example usage [with sources, compile commands embeded in
the test script posted earlier] incorrect usage of fortran common
blocks via dll [if so - whats the correct usage?]

'!GCC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT' syntax gives compile errors.

- is it a bug in cygwin/gfortran? Since stuff other than 'fortran
comon block' appears to work [fortran routines, c routines, c-globals
etc - without requiring any dllimport/export qualifies in code]

- this usage unsupported by cygwin/gfortran?

[if so - I should either figure out workarrounds - or not use dlls for this usage]

More comments below..

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, LMH wrote:

> If you having trouble communicating with the dll,

Its more about 'common block variables' in user code have different
adresses than those in the dll [when I expect them to be the same]

> it might make more
> sense to create a generic c dll and embed the fortran in the c dll as a
> subroutine.

> It is generally not a problem to call a fortran subroutine
> from c code though there are some syntax specifics to follow.

We do have c/fortran (user) -> c (.a/.so) -> fortran (.a/.so) wroking fine [on most OSes/compilers].

> Your
> communication with the dll could follow standard c protocols. Since c
> code and fortran code will have their own namespaces, your fortran
> includes, common block, etc, shouldn't be a problem since those
> variables will only be linked to the fortran objects. Your fortran src
> files will be run through the fortran pre-processor so your common block
> should be fine. Your c src files will be run through the c
> pre-processor. The c objects won't know anything about the fortran
> global variables but you can exchange what you need to between the c and
> fortran in the call to the fortran subroutine.

Yes - we have this - and it works fine.

> You end up with two
> copies of allot of things but this is a decent way to get fotrran code
> to talk to the modern programming world.

> The only way I know to use the same memory namespace for both c and
> fortran files is to run the fortran through the c pre-processor (name
> your fortran src files .FPP). This lets you use c style includes and
> compiler directives in your fortran code but does not support a common
> block. You would have to declare global variables in c style includes.

Sorry - I don't know what 'same memory namespace' here means..

The test code I posted is just a way to demonstrate the problem and
not an exact representative of the 'fortran(user) -> c(library)'
interface.

thanks,
Satish