Problems running gdb in emacs on Windows 8.1

I'm having numerous problems recently running gdb inside emacs (both
-w32 and -X11):

1) The stack trace window requires one or two gdb commands to catch up
with the current stack frame.  E.g., I'll hit a breakpoint after "run"
and then type "up"; the frame pointer still points at frame 0.  I'll
type "up" again, so I'm actually looking at frame 2, but the frame
pointer now points at frame 1.  I'll type "p variable_name", and now
the frame pointer correctly points at frame 2.

2) Normally the gdb command window is the upper-left window with the
source displayed in the center-left window.  Occasionally (I haven't
been able to find a pattern), when I execute a gdb command the
upper-left window will switch away from the *gud-xxx.exe* buffer to
display the current source location, leaving the center-left window
also displaying a source window.  If I switch the center-left window
to *gud-xxx.exe", the window configuration appears to be stable, with
the source updating correctly in the upper-left window during the rest
of the debugger session.  (Simply switching the upper-left window back
to *gud-xxx.exe* is generally not stable, with that window likely to
switch back to a source buffer within a couple of gdb commands.)

3) My executable has a number of debugging-output functions that are
intended to print a data structure to stderr and return.  When I call
one of these using "p db_foo(x)", unless it is the first gdb command
after a breakpoint, all my threads will switch from "stopped" to
"running" status so that I can no longer step, etc.

All of these things used to work fine.  I'm not sure exactly when
things changed, as I didn't update my Cygwin installation for quite a
while.  My current installation has gdb 7.9.1-1 and emacs 24.5-1.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be and how to fix it would be
appreciated.

--
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
william.m.miller@gmail.com