Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Tcl/Tk 8.5.18

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you look at the list of maintainers
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> you will notice that it is very very short.
>
> Basically:
> Corinna is handling the cygwin core
> Yaakov is handlig > 50% of the packages
> Jon is handling all the X server
> Achim is handling all perl
> Ken is handling all texlive
> Add me, Jary and Volker and we cover ~ 90% of all packages
>
> Please consider the additional burden you are asking to the
> limited maintainers' resources.
>
> Regards
> Marco

Thank-you for bringing this side of it to my attention. I think we all
participate or have participated at some point in projects where
tradeoffs of user effect vs developer time are made. I think it is
fair to escalate the question of where this balance is set from time
to time. I have used Cygwin for several years and only recently did I
have such a serious problem with it that I had to email this list for
support instead of working around the problem. I once had to counsel
customers to stick with Cygwin 1.5 because we didn't get approval to
fix our call to "nc" to match the version packaged in Cygwin 1.7,
given the balance of factors on our end. This is one understaffed
project forcing the hand of another understaffed project. We upgraded
our "nc" usage about two years after the problem was diagnosed,
because more and more users had downloaded a current version of Cygwin
and hit the 'nc' incompatibility.