Re: dig utility in bind-utils-9.9.7-1 returns no output

Brian, Andre,

Thanks for the suggestions / info.

Examples below.  "No output" means that dig provided no reply or
diagnostic info to the Cygwin screen as can be seen below, even when
asking for the internal help text.

Dig was working fine until the last update, I've
uninstalled/reinstalled it, etc.  Most baffling issue I've seen with a
simple executable in awhile.

I'd expect some access problem to the DNS servers, except that the
native Windows nslookup utility works fine.

Tue Apr 14 12:26:27 pty2 >dig +trace google.com

Tue Apr 14 12:26:31 pty2 >dig --help

Tue Apr 14 12:26:36 pty2 >dig -h

Tue Apr 14 12:25:18 pty2 >dig google.com

Tue Apr 14 12:25:33 pty2 >/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/nslookup.exe google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Server:  ns01.my.employer.com
Address:  www.xxx.yyy.zz

Name:    google.com
Addresses:  2607:f8b0:4005:803::200e
          216.58.192.46

Below are some tries with the "host" utility.  "host" provides a help
screen, but no DNS info.

Tue Apr 14 12:33:25 pty2 >host google.com

Tue Apr 14 12:33:37 pty2 >host 216.58.192.46

Tue Apr 14 12:33:41 pty2 >host --help
host: illegal option -- -
Usage: host [-aCdlriTwv] [-c class] [-N ndots] [-t type] [-W time]
            [-R number] [-m flag] hostname [server]
       -a is equivalent to -v -t ANY
       -c specifies query class for non-IN data
       -C compares SOA records on authoritative nameservers
       -d is equivalent to -v
       -l lists all hosts in a domain, using AXFR
       -i IP6.INT reverse lookups
       -N changes the number of dots allowed before root lookup is done
       -r disables recursive processing
       -R specifies number of retries for UDP packets
       -s a SERVFAIL response should stop query
       -t specifies the query type
       -T enables TCP/IP mode
       -v enables verbose output
       -w specifies to wait forever for a reply
       -W specifies how long to wait for a reply
       -4 use IPv4 query transport only
       -6 use IPv6 query transport only
       -m set memory debugging flag (trace|record|usage)
       -V print version number and exit

Keith