Re: X11Forward and xauth problems

On 23/03/2015 21:27, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 3/23/2015 2:06 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 23/03/2015 20:48, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Normally I just turn on -X (or put X11Forward yes in ~/.ssh/config) but
that usually results in a noticeable delay in logging in and the
following error:

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not
generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.

Firstly, if you don't want these warnings, use ssh -Y.

(By using ssh -X, you are asking for something which the X server can't
give you, hence the warnings.  See
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-trusted-untrusted-x11-forwarding

for more details)

Yeah but -Y gives me the same thing:

This is similar, but it is not the same.

Adefaria-lt:ssh -Y cm-app-ldev01
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
/usr/bin/xauth:  unable to link authority file
/home/adefaria/.Xauthority, use /home/adefaria/.Xauthority-n
Cm-app-ldev01:

I think this last message here is unusual, and is coming from xauth running on the remote server. Can you you give a few more details on what OS that is running?

If you connect using ssh -vv -Y, you should be able to see the xauth commands that sshd is running, and if those, or some other step in the connection, is the cause of the delay.

You might also try running those xauth commands in the terminal to investigate further.

Adefaria-lt:xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
Adefaria-lt:ssh cm-app-ldev01
Cm-app-ldev01:export DISPLAY=adefaria-lt:0
Cm-app-ldev01:xclock
Error: Can't open display: adefaria-lt:0
Cm-app-ldev01:

If you want this to work, you will now (since X server 1.17) need to
start the server with the option '-listen tcp'.

Restarted Xwin with -multimonitor and -listen tcp. Now I get:

Sorry for any ambiguity, but you have misunderstood what I wrote.

If you want explicitly setting DISPLAY and allowing access using xhost to work, you must start the server with the option '-listen tcp'.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer