Re: update trouble 1.7.35

On Mar 23 16:39, Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZSW wrote:
> I just upgraded my cygwin installation to 1.7.35 or what the latest is.
> After that I got an awful bash shell instead of my standard tcsh.  So
> I read up on that very long https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
> manual (needs an executive version)

Feel free to contribute one.  My major concern was to get a complete
description in the documentation.  It's hard (for me) to condense this
to a shorter versions without knowing at all what people need and not
need.  Ultimatly there won't be a condensed version which matches
everybody's needs anyway.

> and came up with
>
> $ cat /etc/nswitch.conf
> passwd: files
> group: files

Try this instead:

  passwd: db
  group: db
  db_shell: /bin/tcsh

This should work for you without any passwd and group files, provided
you're the only user of your machine anyway.

> Now I can't start cygwin at all:
>
> This account is currently not available.
> /sbin/nologin: Exit 1

As outlined in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00380.html
this is certainly not a desired result, so I'd like to see how
this occurs and how we can avoid this in the next Cygwin version.

So, *before* you make the above suggested change, can you please provide
the following information:

- In a CMD shell, cd to C:\cygwin{64}\bin, call the following two
  commands, and paste the output into your reply:

    getent passwd %USERNAME%
    id

- Please provide your /etc/passwd file content, or at least the
  passwd entry of your account.

> So how do I get my shell back without messing with the AD?  That's
> off limits here.

The https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html document explains
how not to mess with AD, if that's not desired.  See the above
suggestion.

Thanks and HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat