Re: mintty startup message: /sbin/nologin: No such file or directory

Hi David,

On Mar 21 13:50, Habermann, David (D) wrote:
> I observed the same error.  In my case, it was apparently caused by a
> too-rapid startup at boot of cygserver, which apparently could not
> connect to LDAP at that early stage.

LDAP can't have to do with that, in theory.  The whole mechanism should
give a sane result even if LDAP connections fail, because the core part
is the call to LookupAccountSid and that's the only call which has to
succeed.

I just had a quick glance into the source code and I'm seriously puzzled
how it could create /sbin/nologin.  This should only happen if your
account is not a SidTypeUser account.  But that's impossible for a user
account.

Unless, and that's the puzzeling thing here, unless LookupAccountSid
failed for your account and returned SidTypeUnknown.  This should never
happen for a user logged in to the system since in this case all the
information returned by LookupAccountSid should be cached.

I'd like to investigate more, but it would be nice if we could try
to understand what exactly happens.  How exactly looks the output
of `getent passwd <your account>' and `id' while you're getting the
/sbin/nologin shell entry?  There may be also some interesting info in
an strace, or we could run an (yet to be created) augmented Cygwin DLL
in your scenario

As for /sbin/nologin itself, I'm not sure why I did that without
providing an /sbin/nologin executable.  This is very clearly an oversight
on my part.
In theory it should be part of the util-linux package, but it isn't for
some reason.  Yaakov, any idea why?  Is it a problem to add it?

Alternatively, is anybody interest to provide just /sbin/nologin as an
extra package, perhaps?

Corinna

Red Hat