Dependencies and GNOME

I just ran setup (2.870, 32-bit) and it installed a lot of GNOME
software that I didn't have before and didn't ask for(e.g. Epiphany).
My fault for clicking through I suppose without checking.

Looking at dependencies in setup.ini I see xinit requires
adwaita-icon-theme and that pulls in a load of GNOME libraries, but I
still can't see why the 'top level' applications were installed.

Is this expected/normal or have I done something wrong?

Pete