Re: chgrp in Windows

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 01:50:47 +0100  Andrey Repin wrote:

>>>I just remembered that that tab isnÃt always visible.  If youÃre running a Ãhomeà version of Windows, thereÃs a pretty good chance you donÃt even see this tab.
>
>> Thanks for that.  I first thought that's it.  I am on XP Pro so this
>> doesn't seem to apply.  I do see the security tab
>> if that is what you mean.   But the 'Group or user names' box only selects
>> for which user/group I want to modify
>> the permissions, doesn't it?  I don't want to modify or look at permissions.
>
>> I am actually looking for the information I see in ls -l as the group, i.e. column #4.
>
>> I am trying to fix a completely hosed file system and seem to have quite a
>> bit of trouble with that...  Something's still missing.
>
>If you mean Cygwin system, reinstall would be a faster way.

Unfortunately, it's the whole PC, which is also the reason why I have to use this terrible webmailer, sorry.

And I don't see any edit button or anything else obvious.  If I click on Properties of a file, I get three tabs:
General, Security, Summary.  On the Security tab I see from top to bottom

a box labeled "Group or user names:",
underneath two buttons "Add..." "Remove"
then a box labeled "Permissions for <as selected in 'Group or user names' box>  Allow Deny" with list of permissions
and an Advanced button.
At the very bottom OK/Cancel/Apply

If I then select "Advanced" I get a window with three tabs:
Permissions, Owner, Effective Permissons

The contents of the Owner tab is what I see in column #3 of ls -l
I can't find anything that corresponds to column #4 of ls -l

The Permission tab has buttons Add..., Edit..., Remove but those only open more or less complex windows to set permissions.

What am I missing?  I appreciate your answers and sorry for this not entirely Cygwin related question.

>P.S.
>I would also appreciate, if you teach your mail agent to insert proper
>threading headers into list replies.

See above.

Michael

Profitieren Sie von der sicheren E-Mail-Ãbertragung Ihrer Daten mit einer kostenlosen E-Mail-Adresse der Telekom.
www.t-online.de/email-kostenlos