Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.3

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> This release introduces a revision of the LDAP calls done to fetch
> information from the DC.  By limiting the search scope, the calls should
> now be faster even in bigger environments.  Please give it a try with
> activated "db" settings for passwd and group entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
>   passwd: db
>   group: db
>
> Please report back your experience, especially if you're suffering
> from "slow startup" problems.

I'm still suffereing from slow startup problems over VPN, but I don't
think it's the LDAP calls.  As noted over in another thread the startup
of tcsh takes a long time to start over a slow / long latency connection
(the home directory is on a network share).  About half of that slowness
is the history file load (saving the history on shutdown is also very
slow), so either tcsh does something really stupid there or Cygwin does
interact badly with how it tries to read/write these files.  There is
nothing happening network or CPU wise, so it feels very much like
repeatedly hitting timeouts.

Another thing I noticed is that pasting into an SSH connection often
leaves the last few characters off and you need to hit another key to
get them displayed.  Not sure if this is related, but I seem to remember
that this had been reported before and may be a regression.

Lastly, running cygserver to cache the LDAP data has another side-effect
when using VPN.  Since the cygserver is usually started before you've
dialed into the VPN, your username and some groups will get reported as
"DOM+User(12345)".  You have to restart cygserver after the VPN is up to
correct that.

Regards,
Achim.