Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.1

On Feb 14 22:21, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
>
> > Am 14.02.2015 um 00:24 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> >> I have a feeling that you have %HOME% defined before mintty starts.
> >> I just made some tests, and it seems to be the showstopper.
> >> If %HOME% is already set, nsswitch.conf:db_home is ineffective.
> >> Simple check for
> >>
> >>      SET HOME=
> >>      mintty -
> > I think setting HOME globally, before starting cygwin, is the most
> > straightforward way to configure one's home directory preference and
> > should thus be supported.
>
> Supported, allright.
> The issue seems to be contradiction between documented and observed behavior
> of a specific macro. (Or specific part of the Cygwin, to that extent.)
> Setting global %HOME% to %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% is a natural choice, but Denis
> seems to want a deviation of it for Cygwin specifically.

Apples/oranges.  I'm talking about the passwd entry and creating
passwd entry requires some kind of reproducability.  The environment
of the current user has nothing to do with it.  I hope
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-02/msg00425.html makes that clear.

> By the way,
> getent passwd %USERNAME%
> return homedir correctly, but bash insist on using existing HOME even if
> started as login shell.

Of course.  All shells do that.  They expect HOME to have a useful value
because HOME is usually set by the login process before the shell is
started.  And the login process, if there is any, fetches HOME from the
account DB.

Corinna

Red Hat