Re: ls not in sync with chmod (weird problems with file permissions)

On 9 February 2015 at 21:28, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
> Am 09.02.2015 um 16:37 schrieb diod lightbulb:

>> 1-  For pre-existing files/directories under /cygdrive/d and /cygdrive/e
>> All my file permissions that were correctly reported by ls -l as
>> rw-r--r-- became all of a sudden -rw-rwxr--+ ??? The same for
>> directories where all previously 755 dirs came back as drwxrwxr-x+

>> % chmod 644 buggy
>> % stat -c " %a %u %g" buggy
>>   " buggy 674 1000 545
>>
>> Oooch, no change??? chmod used to work before today (BTW, same
>> behavior for pre-existing files: chmod has no effect).
>
> See my mail about "group permissions". This would resolve nicely if chmod
> gets changed to behave like on Linux.
> ------
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Maybe so, I really didn't see the point of ACLs before, I'm just happy
with (used to?) plain POSIX. And up until now, the cygwin behavior was
OK with me. I must say (a somewhat big inconvenience but I didn't
complain) that I routinely chmod 644 all new files created by
non-cygwin apps (say new files downloaded with Mozilla). That's why I
asked earlier if there's an easy way to enforce file permissions 644
for any newly created file. Maybe through Windows but then what would
be the right corresponding Windows permissions to ensure them?

It's important for me that the files I care for are in Group Users as
my use case on this box is a Debian/Windows 7 dual-boot.  I have a
UserMapping file for drives D: and E: to try to get consistent
ownership on both. Another inconvenience right now is that the Group
given to newly created files from non-cygwin apps (again, one example
is a Mozilla downloaded file, another one is a Gimp newly created
file) seems to be None instead of Users for cygwin apps. I routinely
chgrp them. Is there a way to make sure that they belong to the Users
group from the start?

Regards,
Green