Performance of rm -rf

Hello Cygwin community.

Back in November I had to replace my hard disk and re-install. Since then I've noticed that if I use rm -rf to delete a directory tree, the performance is significantly slower than before.

For example, deleting a 1.79 Gb directory tree with the DOS rmdir /s command takes less than 1 minute. The same deletion with the Cygwin rm -rf command takes 16 minutes.

I've looked in the mailing list archives, but I didn't find anything relevant.

I'm running Windows 8.1.

Any thoughts as to where I might look?

Thanks!

Douglas Coup