Re: Failure in merging win-env vars into post-'login'...

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jan 16 01:43, Linda Walsh wrote:

Prior to this, when I logged on using local credentials, I would have a blank hostname. I.e. -- using 'X11' as an example, when I log in locally, I see no hostname in my shell-prompt. But when I log in to another system, then my path is prefixed with the hostname.

So... why did I need the local hostname with a "+"??

  Does https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ntsec.html answer that question?
---
	Not entirely.  But don't know that it is related to the problem
I'm seeing.  As it is only being applied to locally created groups, I'm
not going to worry about it too much (i.e. it doesn't interfere with my
samba-3.6.28-winbind credentials, and more interested in why it didn't
look at "/.rhosts" in my home directory.).

I have a feeling the X-server died because installing the test cygwin wiped
out my share partition (on a local mount, but one that cygwin turns into a
symlink and overwrites)...

A Cygwin install never wipes out /usr/share, except for files going to
be replaced.  Also, /usr/share is NOT created as symlink, but as
directory.
----
SIDEISSUE:
---
	If it already exists (as a Windows junction), it is treated as
a symlink and not a file-system mount (as MS terminology describes it, as
it is not the same as a 'symlink' on windows but is more like a mount-point
on linux -- as we have previously discussed... ;-/.

	As such, even though nothing was installed at /usr/share, I did
have many docs and manpages installed in /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man,
but -- WHY must the install procedure delete perfectly good path components
if it is not *installing them*, (but installing files *under them*).

^^^SIDE ISSUE^^^

Nevertheless, in tracing (w/process monitor) through an attempted login with
the test-DLL, at no time did anything access my home directory (i.e.
nothing read ".rhosts" in home).

Before this change that file was read and allowed me to login w/o a password, WITH the network credentials of whoever started 'inetd' (i.e. if it was started automatically
by as a service, I won't see my mounts, but it if was started by me, from my
current login-session, I see the same mounts as in my normal login session).

I.e. it was a way of opening a local command-line window using a 3rd party (SecureCRT)
TTY tool that supports rlogin/rsh in addition to ssh and a few others).

It *looks*, at this point that my userid isn't being passed from inetd to rlogind so it can read the ".rhosts" file in my WIN-HOME (USERPROFILE or HOMEDRIVE:\HOMEPATH).