Re: Force "ls" to show .exe extension

Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>> ...if I have ~/bin/pdfcrop.exe, the command "ls ~/bin/pdfcrop"
>> shows pdfcrop rather than pdfcrop.exe.  Is there any way to force
>> ls to show the full filename (including extension) if it matched
>> the ls argument, even if the ls argument doesn't specify the
>> extension?  I read
>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html, which
>> helps explain the situation, but not a solution.
>
> I see people are diving deep to find a "solution", but noone has
> asked, what is the problem they are trying to solve here.  So, let
> me ask it: what is the problem?

Hello, Andrey,

I'm wading through many files in two file trees.  In particular, I'm
looking at corresponding directories in the two trees where "diff -qr"
revealed differences.  I want the absolute truth of what the filename
is with minimal distrations about how to achieve that.  Then, I can
focus on figuring how those files came about, and how the differences
arose.