Re: SSHd configuration problems (System error 1376)

>>>        If you were really running in an elevated shell, I don't know why 544
>>>        didn't show up in the output of "id -G".
>>>
>>>        Ken

>>    Because Ilya's /etc/group file has a line that reads:
>>
>>    root:S-1-5-32-544:0:
>>
>>    in stead of:
>>
>>    Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:
>>
>>    ?
>>
>>    Put differently, he has copied an old group file from another computer?

> Well, that wouldn't be why 544 didn't show up in the output of "id -G"
> if the shell was elevated ...

Hi, Larry, yes, it does (could reproduce that on my system - W7)

>                               but root showing up in either of the passwd
> or group files is a key indicator that the file was modified by something
> other than mkpasswd and mkgroup at one point in the past, yes.

Agreed.

Perhaps the real question is why Ilya believes he has no group file? He is quite certain, that he has a clean
installation of Cygwin. If so, I cannot explain the output he got from /usr/bin/ssh-host-config ...

(btw, I cannot explain why ssh-host-config references /etc/group unconditionally; it might not exist, because
 as far as I know ... it will only be there if the user has created the file - starting 1.7.34)

Henri

(my last entry, yes, otherwise I will have to subscribe myself to the list ... yes, I know)