Re: RFD: cygwin ACLs: NFS or POSIX model: ease in adapting to CIFS ACLs?

On 12/21/2014 06:25 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
I seem to remember that the cygwin ACL's were based on NFS acls not
the POSIX ACL's.  From this snippet I read on the Samba list,
it seems there are some "very difficult" [nightmarish] cases
where NFS causes CIFS compatibility problems.  Is this only
NFSv4 (does cygwin model v4 or v3?) that had these problems?
Would it simplify anything for cygwin to be using POSIX
acl's -- in so much that those seem to be more
str8forward in functionality mapping?

I know nothing about NFS ACL's or how they are different from POSIX ACL's,
but wondered also if code in the linux kernel or samba projects might have
any useful bits to use in cygwin only from the basis of what this
person states about their compatibility?

It may also be this is a dead issue without someone to do the work, but
am just wondering if it is, in any fixes or enhancements to the Cygwin ACL
work something that might be good to consider as a direction for either,
new or maintenance (or both) work?

Just seems like code in samba that presents a CIFS UI/API
to the 'user' from a POSIX ACL UI/API backend,  might have
some similarities between cygwin code using CIFS to talk to
the OS and presenting a POSIX ACL UI/API to the 'user'?

I can't speak to the specific issues you're raising or shed any light
on whether they are actually issues with Cygwin.  As far as the Cygwin
implementation is concerned, I believe the links below shed some light
on the original implementation and the direction things are heading.
At this time, the first link still refers to a test version of the
Cygwin package, though the version number is different.

<https://www.marshut.net/kqrriw/test-release-cygwin-1-7-33-1.html>
<https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ug/ntsec.html>

Hope this helps.

--