Re: Errors with Cygwin Installation and Missing tools needed for program operation

On 12/19/2014 5:54 PM, Clark, Randy wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I am trying to run a program that requires both the bash shell and tcsh shell of Cygwin, along with many different tools that are not part of the default installation package. I had installed the default cygwin a few months ago, and then last night I updated my installation to add the dos2unix tools (namely, I needed d2u.exe, diff.exe, sdiff.exe and u2d.exe, which I was able to add in the update).  I am still missing the tools ar.exe and make.exe. However, when I added the tools, I also started getting the following error message in my cygwin window upon startup.

       1 [main] uname (1516) C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin\uname.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x1802E1408/0x1802DD408.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
-bash: [: =: unary operator expected

You seems to have a very weird mount table

C:\cygwin64\usr\local      /          system  binary,auto
C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin  /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
C:\cygwin64\usr\local\lib  /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
cygdrive prefix            /cygdrive  user    binary,auto

my one looks like

E:\cygwin64      /          system  binary,auto
E:\cygwin64\bin  /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
E:\cygwin64\lib  /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
cygdrive prefix  /cygdrive  user    binary,auto

Have you installed cygwin multiple times in different places ?

Cygwin installations found in the registry:
  System: Key: e022582115c10879 Path: C:\cygwin64
  User:   Key: e022582115c10879 Path: C:\cygwin64
  User:   Key: e9b5963264e345a0 Path: C:\cygwin64\usr\local

I doubt the double intersecting installations behave very well...

 First use regedit to remove at least this one

User:   Key: e9b5963264e345a0 Path: C:\cygwin64\usr\local

than eventually reinstall some of the packages.

In summary, I am asking if someone will help me clear up these error messages and also tell me which packages I need to install to get the tools ar.exe and make.exe.

ar.exe is in binutils
make.exe is in make (of course)

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=%2Fmake.exe&arch=x86_64
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=%2Far.exe&arch=x86_64