Re: fdisk -l is mute

Hi Brian,

On Dec 17 05:45, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > On Dec 11 18:38, Christian Franke wrote:
> > > A quick look in the source shows that the function sysfs_devname_to_devno()
> > > now only checks the path /sys/block/sdX/dev if the device name does not
> > > start with /dev/. I presume upstream has removed a fallback to /dev/sdX
> > > because this is no longer required on Linux.
> >
> > Hey, I'm off the hook on that one, cool! :)
>
> As Cygwin does not provide /sys/block/sdX/dev, should fdisk be patched for
> Cygwin to enumerate and prefix the device names from /proc/partitions with
> /dev/ so that --list without arguments works as expected?

Wouldn't asking upstream to revert the code removal be a start?  I'm
sure they simply didn't know that there's another platform relying on
the code (and not being able to provide a functional /sys emulation).

> If I could configure the ! package, I could test if a patch like the
> following would work:

Ideally you should use cygport to do that.  Unpack the util-linux
source archive, cd into the created source dir, call

  cygport util-linux.cygport prep

Then change into the util-linux-${version}.${arch}/src dir, apply
your patch, go back to the dir containing the util-linux.cygport file
and call

  cygport util-linux.cygport compile

Corinna

Red Hat