Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

On 10/12/14 20:52, cyg Simple wrote:
On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

I'd appreciate if those not shy to install developer snapshots would
give this stuff a try in the meantime.
I think I'm about to make a script to install snapshots, at this rate it seems
the right thing to do.
Is there a direct way to query for the latest snapshot?

  The snapshots always have a date attached to the filename.
I mean, if there's a way to know, what is the latest available snapshot?
If I want to write a script, that fetch [and install] one.
I can parse the/snapshots/  page, of course, but this is the least desirable
choice. For multiple reasons. I would like to have a single point, that could
refer to the very latest snapshot. Even if it is something like
/snapshots/x86/cygwin-inst-latest.tar.xz redirecting to
actual latest snapshot, that'd be quite enough.

You could just parse the setup.hint file from your favorite mirror.

This doesn't work in the general case, as not all snapshots are uploaded as test packages. Plus you'd have to wait while your favourite mirror picked up the new package.

Sadly, parsing the HTML is the only way to go right now. This is very error-prone, as any assumption you make about the structure of the HTML could change with no notice. The following works (as the snapshots page stands) by extracting the date from one of the filenames:

wget -q -O - http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ | egrep "cygwin1-[0-9]*.dll.xz" | head -n 1 | sed 's/^.*cygwin1-\([0-9]*\)\.dll\.xz.*$/\1/g'

This is about as fool-proof as I can make it. It assumes nothing about the HTML, so it should survive a fairly substantial change to the web page. Provided we don't change the format of the filenames, the above stands a chance of working. YMMV.

Cheers,

Dave.