Re: Output from mkpasswd/mkgroup ... Again confused (2)

On Nov 27 17:12, Houder wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> For comparison: output of 'mkpasswd -l' with and without /etc/nsswitch.conf present. Without it, my machine
> is NOT a 'foreign machine'. When it is present, my machine is a 'foreign machine'. Strikes me as ...
>
> Until now, I believed that the output of mkpasswd/mkgroup had no dependency on /etc/nsswitch.conf.

The most recent version has.  Here's what happens.  If you call mkpasswd
without parameter, it just calls Cygwin's internal enumeration functions.
If you call with -l, it checks if `passwd:' is set to "files" only in
/etc/nsswitch.conf.  If so, it uses the old enumeration functions inside
mkpasswd, which don't generate prefixed usernames for local accounts
even on AD machines.  However, the uids/gids differ when using this
method.  I could change the offset in this case to reduce the chance for
a difference, but hey, there's no good reason to use /etc/passwd at all
in your scenario :}

Corinna

Red Hat