Re: bind-utils output not to stdout (was: Dig output not piping to xargs)

Alive <alive4ever <at> live.com> writes:
> On 10/26/2014 4:26 AM, Marko BoÅikoviÄ wrote:
>> I have recently noticed that dig +short output is not being properly piped to
>> xargs (and it used to work)
>> Doing something like:
>> echo aaa | xargs -I {} echo {}
>> works fine.
>> However:
>> dig +short www.google.com | xargs -I {} echo {}
>> produces no output.
>> I'm running Cygwin x64, tried a fresh install and it didn't help. Attached is
>> the cygcheck output. Interestingly enough, cygcheck segfaults if I run it
from
>> bash. I had to run it from TCC to get the output file.

> I can confirm this behavior. `dig +short` always writes it output to the >
terminal and cannot be redirected.
> $ dig +short google.com
> 74.125.68.101
> 74.125.68.138
> 74.125.68.100
> 74.125.68.102
> 74.125.68.139
> 74.125.68.113
> $ dig +short google.com | tee dig.txt
> $ cat dig.txt
> (no text is shown)
> $ dig +short google.com 2>&1 | tee dig.txt
> $ cat dig.txt
> (no text is shown)

All bind-utils - host, nslookup, dig - output not to stdout or stderr - can
not be redirected, but redirection suppresses output, with current update
9.9.6-2 but works with previous 9.9.5-3 and current cygwin release. Have not
tested nsupdate but likely to have same problem. Has anyone seen a similar
problem?