Re: /usr/local, /var and */tmp in c:\Users\Public

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> > However, the *other* idea is that if you install with an elevated Setup,
>> > your account is an admin account anyway.  Ideally when you install
>> > Cygwin for multiple users, you're using an account you're not using for
>> > daily usage.
>>
>> Couldnât the Cygwin non-user files be owned by SYSTEM instead of the installing user?

> In a corporate model this might make sense, but for the home user?  I'm
> not so sure about SYSTEM, though.  Administrator/Administrators sounds
> right to me.  SYSTEM?

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller >.<
At least that's what many of the apps installed with.

@ /c/Program Files/DVD Maker
$ icacls DVDMaker.exe | iconv -f cp866
DVDMaker.exe NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(F)
             BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX)
             NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)
             BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

Not all, though.

@ /c/Program Files/Opera
$ icacls.exe opera.exe | iconv -f cp866
opera.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
          BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
          BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)

> Hmm.  As I said, at one point back in the early
> 1.7 days setup did something like that, but we got complaints.  I don't
> remember the details.  But if we do something like that again, it should
> be configurable.  Maybe the "Just Me"/"All users" choice is sufficient
> if explained sufficiently in the GUI?

It's interested to know, what these complaints were about exactly. I was away
from the list, when transition to 1.7 occured.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...