Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Habermann, David (D) wrote:
>>> I also like having everything stored under one main directory (c:\cygwin) for ease of backup
>
>> Why would you back up all of c:\cygwin?  Most of it is downloaded from the Internet, and this is easily
>> reinstalled from your cached download.  (I'm assuming you keep setup.exe and its download tree on a
>> network drive somewhere.)
>
> I do something similar to you, and the backup isn't the big issue (although I do have MANY locally compiled programs here).  C:\Users is backed up by the corporation, so I either have to duplicate the backup or do multiple recoveries from different backup systems to get it all back...that is why I prefer c:\cygwin\home

I would have to stop using Cygwin if what is being proposed is put
into action unless I can thwart it by specifying that it uses the
current scenario.  Besides, it is nice to have the Cygwin HOME
directory isolated to the Cygwin installation for a portable install
that can be used on a USB thumb drive.

Thumb drive use requires mkpasswd/mkgroup -c >> /etc/passwd/group with
careful security management but it can be done!

--
cyg Simple