Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

On Nov  6 19:34, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >>Looks good so far.
> >>
> >>An observation from my first test on a machine which is member of a domain:
> >>
> >>mkpasswd -l and -L always print the HOST prefix.
> >>mkpasswd -d and -D never print the DOMAIN prefix
> >Right.  That's by design.  -D is deprecated.  -L of the new mkpasswd/
> >mkgroup (which hopefully are not used by users a lot in future) only
> >prefix *foreign* machines.
>
> But why does
>   mkpasswd -l (no host) -- adds a prefix
>   mkpasswd -l THISHOST -- does not add a prefix
> when the machine is in a domain? Not consistent, IMO.

That's right.  The reason is that the machine name is treated as a
foreign machine.  In theory, this should always generate names
with prefixed machine name, but this is an entirely different
code path in mkpasswd/mkgroup.  I guess this should be fixed.

I wouldn't be unhappy about help...

> Is it because without a HOST it directly calls cygwin_internal() instead of
> Win API and -l/L distinction is not checked then?

Uh, yes.  That's what I meant above :}

> >   Otherwise the naming rules of the underlying
> >Cygwin SAM/AD naming rules are strictly followed so that a defaultt
> >passwd or group file will be identical to the output generated by
> >the "db" mechanism[1].
> >
> >>This likely would break creation of local 'technical' user accounts in
> >>existing *-config scripts (possibly including the csih script):
> >The csih scrip needs a thorough kick anyway.  I'm working on and off
> >on that, but it's not easy due to a couple of very ingrained assumptions
> >not valid anymore.  I hope to get a new csih working next week.
>
> But PLEASE keep the ability to create local users/groups without a prefix.
> Otherwise useful configuration defaults (mail_owner=postfix, ...) would be
> no longer useful because config files must be tweaked for each host
> (mail_owner=HOST+postfix, ...) for the sole purpose of[1]. Some of such
> technical users (sshd?) might also be hard coded or a config parser might
> not like the HOST+USER syntax.

And how's that supposed to work?  Even if we introduce a way in
/etc/nsswitch.conf to generate usernames differently, it doesn't really
help.  Your config file should be able to work with default settings
and not force the admin to use specific settings in nsswitch.conf.

Corinna

Red Hat