Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov  6 07:39, Christian Franke wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Hi Cygwin friends and users,

I just released a 6th TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin release,
1.7.33-0.6.

Looks good so far.

An observation from my first test on a machine which is member of a domain:

mkpasswd -l and -L always print the HOST prefix.
mkpasswd -d and -D never print the DOMAIN prefix
Right.  That's by design.  -D is deprecated.  -L of the new mkpasswd/
mkgroup (which hopefully are not used by users a lot in future) only
prefix *foreign* machines.

But why does
  mkpasswd -l (no host) -- adds a prefix
  mkpasswd -l THISHOST -- does not add a prefix
when the machine is in a domain? Not consistent, IMO.

Is it because without a HOST it directly calls cygwin_internal() instead of Win API and -l/L distinction is not checked then?

   Otherwise the naming rules of the underlying
Cygwin SAM/AD naming rules are strictly followed so that a defaultt
passwd or group file will be identical to the output generated by
the "db" mechanism[1].

This likely would break creation of local 'technical' user accounts in
existing *-config scripts (possibly including the csih script):
The csih scrip needs a thorough kick anyway.  I'm working on and off
on that, but it's not easy due to a couple of very ingrained assumptions
not valid anymore.  I hope to get a new csih working next week.

But PLEASE keep the ability to create local users/groups without a prefix. Otherwise useful configuration defaults (mail_owner=postfix, ...) would be no longer useful because config files must be tweaked for each host (mail_owner=HOST+postfix, ...) for the sole purpose of[1]. Some of such technical users (sshd?) might also be hard coded or a config parser might not like the HOST+USER syntax.

Christian

[1] Reproducability of the passwd/group genearation rules... rulez :)