Re: terminfo and /usr/share/terminfo requirement

On 11/04/2014 05:54 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
I want to wrap this up by first stating that I now understand why you
think /usr/share exists and why I stated it does not and to perhaps
help some other confused person looking at just the archive files.  I
extracted the archives and found PREFIX/usr and PREFIX/etc.  Since the
bin directory existed in PREFIX/usr I simply moved PREFIX/etc to
PREFIX/usr/etc.  Everything worked fine except that /usr/share wasn't
found but /share was found.  Using the setup process PREFIX/usr/bin
and PREFIX/usr/lib are moved to PREFIX/ so that now when you start
Cygwin /usr/share exists but /share doesn't.

Now in my hand created self-extracted version I just move the two
directories and everything works as expected.  But I'm left wondering
why the tar files are create with usr/bin/ and usr/lib/ instead of
bin/ and lib/.  I'm not asking for an explanation of that so please
don't belabor the subject further.

I'm glad you wrapped this up with a synopsis that you believe
clarifies why you weren't following the explanation from others on
the list.  For my part, what I gathered from this thread was that
there was some confusion about the contents of some packages.  In
an effort to provide a simple answer to that (for posterity), I want
to point out that there's the package search tool at the Cygwin
website which shows you exactly what you get and how it's
organized when you extract it.  This tool is here:

<https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi>

In this thread, I believe the discussion has been referring to the
contents of the cygwin package and the terminfo package.  Here are links
to a listing of the contents of each of these packages:

<https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/cygwin/cygwin-1.7.31-3>
<https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/terminfo/terminfo-5.9-4>

If nothing else, I hope anyone looking at this thread can now solve
the mystery of what files are in any package and how they are
organized when you extract them.  It is certainly useful to
have access to this information and the Cygwin site provides this
very convenient way to see it, without downloading anything.

--
Larry