Re: gcc packaging bug?

On 11/4/2014 06:11, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2014-11-03 16:04, JonY wrote:
>> On 11/4/2014 05:46, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> The setup.hint files for gcc and its subpackages now say
>>>
>>> curr: 4.8.3-2
>>> prev: 4.8.3-3
>>> test: 4.9.2-1
>>>
>>> I assume this is a typo; it causes everyone who is not installing the
>>> test release to get downgraded from 4.8.3-3 to 4.8.3-2.
>>
>> No, this is deliberate, 4.8.3-3 is bugged, it could not build later
>> versions of gcc.
>
> How so?

As explained in the other email, it made failed link test return $? 0
anyway. This broke the stage 1 libgcc configure tests.

Reverting to an older version of gcc and then using it to build 4.9.2-1
succeeded. I also used 4.9.2-1 to build a copy of itself as test, seems
like it works. The only real change was changing atexit use to
__cxa_atexit in libgcc.

Corinna mentioned some problems with gcc misoptimizing atexit over IRC.