Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
[Christian, please chime in]

On Oct 24 20:41, Denis Excoffier wrote:
 From Cygwin's POV {/usr}/bin is a system dir.  For security reasons it
makes sense that the system DLLs in /bin cannot be overridden, unless
it's an installation issue which should be covered by looking into the
application installation dir first.
Instead of adding the lookup of /usr/bin before the PATH, you could add
it afterwards?
No.  You don't expect this kind of flexibility in the Win32 API, do you?

[The *LIBPATH variables from MS OS/2 (1987) never made it to Win API :-]

The way it works is, there's a call SetDllDirectory which replaces the "."
in the DLL search path with the directory given as argument.  The search
order is always this:

   application dir
   dir given in SetDllDirecory (Cygwin's bin)
   system dirs
   $PATH

Or do you mean that my use is bad practice for security
reasons? That there might be some unexpected DLL somewhere in the PATH?
IIRC, in linux/solaris, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not honored when you are root,
not otherwise.
Not quite.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is only ignored if the excutable is a
suid/sgid executable.  Unfortunately we don't have LD_LIBRARY_PATH at
all when running execve (but we have in dlopen).

Having said that, moving your DLLs into the application dir is really
not an option?
Oh yes, i use it all the time. It is the job of 'make install' to also
install the appropriate DLLs. The point here is for 'make check'.
Yeah.

Sigh.

I don't like the idea either that this simple change breaks existing
scenarios.  I'm inclined to revert this change.

Christian, would you mind terribly to re-add the tweak to postfix
to set $PATH?

No problem.

Another possible solution:
Check for e.g. CYGWIN_DLLPATH environment variable before calling SetDllDirectory().

If unset or empty, call SetDllDirectory("X:\path_to_cygwin\bin");
else if set to ".", do nothing.
else call SetDllDirectory(CYGWIN_DLLPATH);

The above 'make check' should then work again as 'CYGWIN_DLLPATH=. make check'.

Possible enhancement: If AddDllDirectory() is available (>= Win8), accept a real search path in CYGWIN_DLLPATH.

Christian