Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.1

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> For your convenience I wrote new documentation.  Since this is a TEST
> prerelease, the new documentation is not part of the official docs yet.
> Rather have a look at

>   https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ntsec.html

"via an undocumented APIr " should be "... API, " probably.

> If you read it
> (which I seriously hope for) and it's all just incomprehensible
> gobbledygook to you, please say so on the mailing list

>   cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

> so we have a chance to improve the documentation.

I'm in the process of reading it. Goes slowly, but that's due to my head
condition. It really a very good read, thank you.

> - /proc/cygdrive is a new symlink pointing to the current cygdrive prefix.
>   This can be utilized in scripts to access paths via cygdrive prefix, even
>   if the cygdrive prefix has been changed by the user.

Hm. The prefix currently set to just "/".

$ ls -l /proc/cygdrive
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anrdaemon None 0 Oct 24 20:17 /proc/cygdrive -> /proc/cygdrive

$ ls -l /proc/cygdrive/
ls: cannot access /proc/cygdrive/: Not a directory

Is this... normal?
Or what this is supposed to be at all? Shouldn't it be a simple text file
containing current cygdrive prefix?

> - /proc/partitions now prints the windows mount points the device is mounted
>   on.  This allows to recognize the underlying Windows devices of the Cygwin
>   raw device names.

$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name   win-mounts

    8     0  78150744 sda
    8     1  78149688 sda1   C:\dev\sdb1\
    8    16  78150744 sdb
    8    17    102400 sdb1
    8    18    131072 sdb2
    8    19  77916160 sdb3   C:\
    8    32 488386584 sdc
    8    33 486615520 sdc1   C:\dev\sdb1\dev\sdc1\ C:\dev\sdb1\d\ C:\dev\sdc1\
    8    48 312571224 sdd
    8    49 312568641 sdd1   C:\dev\sdb1\dev\sdd1\ C:\dev\sdd1\
    8    64         0 sde
    8    80         0 sdf
    8    96         0 sdg
    8   112         0 sdh

I approve of this product and/or service.
I would use a mountvol data around here somewhere, too. But it's useful as it
is already.

> - New API: quotactl, designed after the Linux/BSD function, but severly
severely? I'm no expert, but that's probably the right form.

A slightly unrelated request, but... I just had an issue I could prevent if
applying brain to hands, but... would it be a feasible request to make the
output of 'uname -r' suitable for naming a file?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...