Re: Cannot exec() program outside of /bin if PATH is unset

On Oct 17 11:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 16 23:51, Christian Franke wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >I implemented this in the latest snapshot.  It calls SetDllDirectory
> > >on Cygwin's /bin, and dlopen addiotnally tries to load the DLL with
> > >LoadLibraryEx(LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) if all else failed.
> >
> > For some reason, the SetDllDirectory() call has no effect for exec():
> >
> > Testcase:
> >
> > $ unset PATH
> >
> > $ uname -srvm
> > -bash: uname: No such file or directory
> >
> > $ /bin/uname -srvm
> > CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.33s(0.277/5/3) 20141014 19:44:03 i686
> >
> > $ /usr/sbin/alternatives
> > /usr/sbin/alternatives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Weird.  The same sequence of commands works fine for me on W8,
> W8.1 and W10 64 bit, under i686 as well as x86_64 Cygwin.
>
> [...]
>
> but it doesn't on Vista and W7, wow.
>
> The question now is, is it because the path given to SetDllDirectory
> is not propagated to child processes on older systems, or is it
> because the directory is only used in calls to LoadLibrary{Ex} on
> older systems.
>
> Stay tuned, I have to investigate this.

Ok, so prior to W8, the SetDllDirectory path is not propagated to child
processes :-|

I created a patch and a new snapshot on https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
which calls SetDllDirectory during initialization of every process.
Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat