Re: Strange gdb backtraces on 64-bit Cygwin

At 2014-09-17 23:21, Ken Brown was heard to say:
There have been many bug reports involving crashes or assertion
failures in emacs-X11 or emacs-w32 on 64-bit Cygwin.  Many of these
reports include gdb backtraces that don't make sense.  The one I'm
looking at right now is emacs bug#17753.  I'll try to make this email
self-contained, but anyone interested in the context should start at

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17753#47

The situation in that bug report is that a gdb backtrace showed a call
to the emacs function "run_timers" in Thread 2, which shouldn't
happen.  (It should only be called in the main thread.)  There was
speculation as to whether this could be the cause of the crash.  An
alternative theory is that the gdb backtrace is bogus.  I'm pretty
sure that the OP (Markus) was running gdb-7.6.50-4.  His report was
about emacs-X11, but I've observed similar backtraces for emacs-w32.

This is just to confirm the suspected version of gdb on the OP's box:

$ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/gdb
gdb-7.6.50-4

$ gdb -v
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6.50.20130728-cvs (cygwin-special)
[...]

regards,
Markus

--