From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:40 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Windows 2008 access to inetsrv directory

On 09/11/2014 09:20 AM, scotttinsley@ups.com wrote:
> On this server, there is no sysnative under Windows. From a Windows
> CMD shell,

'sysnative' is only visible from 32-bit apps.  See <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384187%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

Specifically:

   32-bit applications can access the native system directory by
   substituting %windir%\Sysnative for %windir%\System32. WOW64 recognizes
   Sysnative as a special alias used to indicate that the file system should
   not redirect the access. This mechanism is flexible and easy to use,
   therefore, it is the recommended mechanism to bypass file system
   redirection. Note that 64-bit applications cannot use the Sysnative alias
   as it is a virtual directory not a real one.

Unless you made sure that the CMD shell you're running is the 32-bit version, it won't see sysnative.  As I mentioned before, this is not a Cygwin-specific issue.

If your goal is to be able to see and work seamlessly with other 64-bit apps and Cygwin, you may find less difficulty if you install the 64-bit version of Cygwin.

--
Larry