Re: freopen failed, core dumped

On Sep  1 21:23, Gery . wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I received the following message after using a computer-intensive
> program (seismic unix):
>

> freopen failed in VNDseekVNDrwslice: seek failed mode = r iopanel = 0 idim = 0 iblock = 400 ipanel = 0
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> What means that message?

No idea.  This message has been generated by the application after a
freopen system call returned NULL, then the application called abort.
Neither the message nor the stackdump created by abort is helpful in
this scenario.

> I presume that cygwin is complaining about that tool program, but this
> happens only with one executable called suradon, which requires a lot
> of resources. I just changed cygwin's heap maximum memory to 2GB with:
>
> regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 1024
> regtool -v list /HKLM/Software/Cygwin

??? Did you read the User's Guide lately?  The heap_chunk_in_mb method
has been deprecated with Cygwin 1.7.10.  We're at 1.7.32 ATM.
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html

But it's not at all clear if the heap is really the problem since we
don't know why freopen failed.  The application should also print errno
or strerror(errno), since freopen knows a whole bunch of potential errors.

Even if it's a memory problem, it could be the cygheap.  The cygheap is
a secondary heap which is only used for datastructures private to the
Cygwin DLL.  It's pretty restricted on 32 bit systems since it follows
immediately after the Cygwin DLL and the space after that is often taken
by other DLLs.  That in turn often disallows to raise its size.

> but that core dumped error persists. Any idea how to solve this USING
> cygwin (ie. without moving to linux)?

You could move to 64 bit Cygwin and recompile your application.  The
bigger virtual address space is quite helpful at times.

Corinna

Red Hat