Re: Deafult to bash so $chere will work (possibly?)

Greetings, Michelle Pace!

> I would like Cygwin in the context menu of my Windows 7 machine (I
> have admin rights).

> I'm not sure really why the chere command is not working

It works as long as you get the context menu entry after it's invocation.

> since I've just read "sh is actually really bash"

That's right, it IS bash in Cygwin, but...

> and my .bashrc file is definitely getting used. Additionally there is
> nothing in my passwd file as I thought I should just replace "sh" with
> "bash". Finally, setting $SHELL to /bin/bash also did not work.

The devil is in the details. When you don't explicitly call bash, it is
getting called as /bin/sh and fall back to POSIX compatibility mode.

> QUESTION: Could anyone please point out what I need to do to get my
> chere command working?

Simple answer: you're doing it wrong. But that's not enough - you're not
reading/ignoring what the tool tell you.

> My Story
> $ chere -i -t mintty
>     Shell defaulting to sh defined for MP
>     /usr/bin/chere Error: Unknown shell sh