Re: Security Settings for directories created in Cygwin (+ executable bit on files)

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> I've noticed that such a behavior happens when I create a new file in
>> a directory that has been made FROM CYGWIN (`mkdir ~/test/', for
>> example).
>>
>> Indeed, the permissions of CYGWIN-CREATED DIRECTORIES seem very weird:
>>
>> - "Inherited from"... "None"!

> Perfectly valid.  This has been discussed already years ago.  It's the
> Windows(!) default primary group for users on a standalone machine (not
> domain member machine).  It's the local group with RID 513, called "None"
> on english language systems.

He man that directory security settings are not inherited, when files are
created by Cygwin. Which is explained by a POSIX-adherent behavior of Cygwin.

@Sebastien, if you want Windows behavior (i.e. defer ACL management to OS),
change cygdrive mount flags to noacl.

>> Asking Cygwin to stop playing with the Windows ACL, by mounting my
>> personal directories as "noacl"?  Well, that means I won't be able to
>> use `chmod' anymore,

I don't see a reason to use chmod under Windows at all.

>> for setting a script file as "executable", then.

There's no need. Cygwin automatically detect executables from file contents.

>> And I'll have to use a Windows tool to do so, such as `cacls'.
>>
>> Is it really so, the integration of Cygwin permissions within Windows?
>> Or do I miss something?

> You're just missing that the integration is one-way.  Non-Cygwin Windows
> executables give a damn for Cygwin settings.  Sorry :}

Also this.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...