Re: The eternal uid issue

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul 29 15:36, D. Boland wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > The permissions of the home folder are set to 01777 by default (S_ISVTX
> > > bit!).  Since we can't rely on central administration for Cygwin, this
> > > allows a user to create her own homedir automatically at first start of
> > > a Cygwin shell.
> > >
> > > You might consider to disable this full patch check in sendmail for
> > > Cygwin.  Is there some configuration flag, maybe?
> > >

> > If I make the 'Users' group owner of the /home folder and remove the world-writable
> > bit, Sendmail doesn't complain anymore. I found out that everybody who is logged on,
> > will be put in the 'Users' group anyway.
>
> Uhm... that works for you, but you can't rely on that for a sendmail
> package.  You'd have to deal with the default 01777 /home as well.

Yes, yes, I know. Cygwin shouldn't want to lock their users out of their own system.
Sendmail is a real b&^ch with security. This project cost me 2 1/2 weeks straight,
trying to figure out a way to accomodate its strict impersonation rules on a system
which has multiple root users. But I did it. No hacking in the sendmail source code.

Anyway, today I tested it succesfully on my Win7 machine (32bit Cygwin), but no
complaining from Sendmail, even with a home folder which is group- and world
writable. Strange.

Cincerely,
Daniel