developing 32-bit and 64-bit in a shared environment

I have happily been using 32-bit Cygwin for years, developing
shell/perl scripts and C/C++ software. Some of the users that
I support have upgraded to 64-bit Cygwin, and so my 32-bit C/C++
binaries no longer work for them. That has forced me to adopt
64-bit Cygwin, which I've installed on the same machine as my
32-bit Cygwin. I need to maintain both environments in parallel.

Now, I want to share my Cygwin $HOME directory between the two
environments.  I already keep my binaries in $HOME/bin/$(arch)
and $HOME/lib/$(arch), so they are covered. And, of course
/usr/bin has to continue to point to the separate Cygwin
environments.

I didn't see what I was looking for in the FAQ or User Guide,
so am looking for advice from the list.