Re: Website: Package listing not working + cygport query

On Jun 18 13:34, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Yaakov Selkowitz!
>
> >> Yaakov, wouldn't it make sense not to just use 0/0 as user/group when
> >> generating packages with cygport by forcing --owner=0, --group=0 to the
> >> tar command?  I'm not suggesting that this is the right way to fix this
> >> particular problem but I don't think it's a good idea to leak people's
> >> names and groups out onto the interwebs if we can help it.  It will also
> >> make the packages slightly smaller.
>
> > That would undermine any legitimate specification of gid/uid.  I would
> > like to see how this is handled in the Linux distros first.
>
> IMO, if you DO need to have specific ownership on specific files, you ought to
> use postinstall scripts to amend the situation to your expectations.
>
> P.S.
> The packages I personally know use 'install' to place specific files with
> specific uid/gid/access bits.

Another point is, the ownership of the files in the tar file is pretty
much useless.  They reflect another system with different user accounts,
and the installer (be it rpm or our setup) use different accounts to
create the files under anyway.  Setting the uid/gid values in our tar
files to some arbitrary fixed values like 0/0 or 544/544 is fine.

Corinna

Red Hat