Re: Update CoreUtils

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 09:59:03AM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>> . . .
>
> Funny how you're saying "We" as if you are actually contributing
> anything other than criticism.

I started a thread, at one point, to ask about a newer version of git.
I offered to try to create a build, if it would help, even though
while I have over a decade of experience in the software industry I
have no experience as a Cygwin package maintainer. I also found that
Steven Penny had offered, six months or a year before my thread, to
build it. Adam Dinwoodie stepped up and offered to take over as
maintainer. He got a build out in short order, but there was a glitch
in either the cygwin dll or in openssl, I forget which, that caused
long-running git clones to fail. Once that was fixed, everything
seemed to be working except for something with git-cvs. I've never
used git-cvs, and haven't used CVS since early 2009, so I didn't know
how I could help with testing or resolving that issue. If I could
have, I would have.

I continued to use Adam's git build of 1.8.5.2 for the next couple of
months, but it slowly started to bother me more and more that I was
using a beta build. I didn't want to go back to git 1.7.9 because that
version is well over two years old now (although, admittedly, I never
had trouble with it). So I installed the native Windows git (msysgit)
1.9.2 from git-scm.org. It took a bit of configuring to get it to play
nice with Cygwin. I need git because all my company's projects are in
git (nearly; a few stragglers are still using svn). I wish there was a
Cygwin build that was, say, a year old or less.

(I still have one problem, that occasionally when it runs an external
tool, it uses its msys bash which doesn't understand SHELLOPTS=igncr,
which I need because of some stupid \r characters in the shell scripts
of npm from nodejs.)

I love Cygwin. I've been a happy user for years. Cygwin bash makes
using Windows tolerable, which makes my life better. I deeply
appreciate everything you all do, and I know that you're volunteers. I
have no claim on your time, or your effort. If I have to build a few
things myself, or use another version, I can do that. But it does look
like some people have tried to help. I'm sorry I wasn't able to be of
more help. There's no need for a reply to this. If you read this far,
then thank you for your time, and thank you for all you do.