Re: Problem logging into ssh

On 05/21/2014 07:22 PM, Noah White wrote:
I’ve installed and configured sshd to run as a service under a
particular  account which is an Administrator. I can ssh in fine as that
user. However, if I try to ssh as any other user I get the following error:

Last login: Wed May 21 18:58:35 2014 from foo.home
/bin/bash: Operation not permitted
Connection to tango closed.

I’ve found a few threads talking about this issue but none of the
details/solutions were either pertinent or worked.

Other details:

Windows Server 2008 R2
Cygwin 1.7.29(0.272/5/3) CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64
OpenSSH 6.6p1-1

While what you're describing could, perhaps, work, if you set the all
up in the right way, you would at most be able to get it to work with
password authentication.  If that's not working for you either, my
best recommendation is to read through the openssh README under
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin and follow the directions there for
configuring sshd.  Note that '/usr/bin/ssh-host-config' will create
a local user to run sshd under.  If you're trying to use public-key
authentication, this will only work for users on your local machine.
You will need to look into the configuration scripts that
'/usr/bin/ssh-host-config' runs to see how it creates this user
and create a like one for your domain, if that's your goal.  There is
more discussion of this in the email archives, though it is probably
several years back.  Otherwise, if a local pub-key user is enough
for your needs, these scripts should be enough to get you going or
provide you the details of what you need to get things working in
this way.  If you have further issues that you want to bring back
to the list, I recommend you read and follow the problem reporting
guidelines found at the link below.  You'll find what the list needs
from you as bootstrap information to help diagnose your particular
problem.

Larry