Re: Cannot log in to SSHD, either with public key or password

This page has a lot of good information in it:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

One part you might want to look at is where it mentions
"cyglsa-config" - this could be useful to you given what you're trying
to set up. In order to utilize this, you'll also want to enable the
"Create a token object" and "Act as part of the operating system"
local security policy options.

These are things I've missed in the past when setting up sshd to work
with key-based authentication. They might not be relevant to the
problem you're having, but it's still good to have the bases covered.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Chloe <starrychloe@oliveyou.net> wrote:

> Please help, I cannot log into Cygwin with SSH.
>
> ssh -vvv Chloe@localhost log: http://pastebin.com/vt2aP86F
>
> I don't know why it says
> debug3: Could not load "/home/Chloe/.ssh/id_rsa" as a RSA1 public key
> because I can use that key to log into a VPS.
>
> I installed the latest ssh. I verified permissions:
>
> ---------------------------
> $ ls -ld . *
> drw-------+ 1 Chloe None     0 May 21 19:31 .
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None   395 May 21 19:31 authorized_keys
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None  1638 Apr  6  2009 authorized_keys.old
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None   668 Apr  6  2009 id_dsa
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None   603 Apr  6  2009 id_dsa.pub
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None  1675 Apr  6  2009 id_rsa
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None  1464 Apr 23  2009 id_rsa.ppk
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None   395 Apr  6  2009 id_rsa.pub
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None   976 Apr  6  2009 identity
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None   640 Apr  6  2009 identity.pub
> -rw-------  1 Chloe None 12226 May 21 19:30 known_hosts
> ------------------------------
>
> This is the error in Application event viewer log:
>
> ---------------------
> The description for Event ID 0 from source sshd cannot be found. Either the
> component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or
> the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on
> the local computer.
>
> If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to
> be saved with the event.
>
> The following information was included with the event:
>
> sshd: PID 6840: Failed password for Chloe from 127.0.0.1 port 49802 ssh2
> -----------------------
>
> I've also tried
> $ ssh chloe@localhost
> and
> $ ssh Chloe@127.0.0.1
> and I've also tried Putty.
>
> Here are non-comments in sshd_config

> $ grep -v ^\# /etc/sshd_config | grep -ve '^\s*$'
> Port 22
> ListenAddress 127.0.0.1
> StrictModes no
> AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
> UsePrivilegeSeparation sandbox          # Default for new installations.
> Subsystem       sftp    /usr/sbin/sftp-server
>
> I see this in the sshd.log
>
> ----------------------------------
> $ tail -1 /var/log/sshd.log
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
> -----------------------------------
>
> But I don't understand why it can't open it. That's how ssh-host-config set
> it up. I had to change owner for sshd_config to myself so I could save my
> edits (ListenAddress).

> $ ls -l ssh*
> -rw-r--r--  1 cyg_server root 1574 May 21 19:22 ssh_config
> -rw-------  1 cyg_server root  672 May 21 18:19 ssh_host_dsa_key
> -rw-r--r--  1 cyg_server root  599 May 21 18:19 ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
> -rw-------  1 cyg_server root  227 May 21 18:19 ssh_host_ecdsa_key
> [...]

 - EJR