Re: Update CoreUtils

Steven Penny wrote:
These are major packages, not just "user X favorite package". Several people
including myself have offered to update them, only to be met with "Sorry, I am
maintainer not you. I will do it when I get time". It gets old after a while.

Well, if you don't want to wait, and you're confident of your ability to update, then do so. You don't have to publish the package to use it on your own system.

I don't know anything about the git source, but I know that bash and coreutils are a pain to update, because there's so much in both that depends upon Windows text mode/binary mode annoyances. Also, bash (I believe) understands Windows paths, and that doesn't make porting any easier either. I spent a very brief time looking at updating bash myself, and decided it wasn't worth the pain.

I've done a little with coreutils in the past, and I suspect if I had to, I could update it using the patches from the last version as a starting point, but I haven't found a need to do so yet.

--
Chris J. Breisch