Re: Baffled: is it Cygwin (64-bits) or Windows that causes the invocation of regedit (from bash) to fail?

Hi Corinna,

Thank you for sharing your expert knowledge!

>> Consequently, I decided to investigate why I got the denial (64-bits Cygwin) at my end.
>>
>> First of all, some more info about my "environment":
>>
>>  - I am using Cygwin from Windows 7 ...
>>  - I am using Cygwin from an administrative account ...
>>  - furthermore, using secpol.msc, I have set the ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin field in
>>
>>    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System (key in registry)
>>
>>    to zero, meaning 'elevate without prompting'
>
> Doesn't matter.  The problem is that elevating is a special procedure,
> requiring a special form of ShellExecuteEx function, which doesn't
> integrate well with the requirements of POSIX fork/exec.  Therefore
> Cygwin never calls ShellExecuteEx to fork/exec an application, rather it
> calls CreateProcess/CreateProcessAsUser, both of which don't provide a
> way to elevate a process.  Therefore, to elevate a process from a Cygwin
> shell, the shell must already run elevated (e.g., right click on "Cygwin
> Terminal" -> "Run as Administrator...").
>
> What's really annoying:  RegEdit's mainfest does not request "asAdmin"
> rights.  Rather it only requests "MaximumAllowed".  One would think this
> means that a CreateProcess call would simply continue with the current
> permissions of the user.  Not so, unfortunately.

Interesting! I can assure you that I am UNfamiliar grounds here :-)

But how do you explain, that I can invoke regedit from 32-bits Cygwin, using
an UNelevated bash?
(both /drv/c/Windows/regedit and /drv/c/Windows/SysWOW64/regedit)

(Sorry, I will look into that myself :-)

Henri

-----
@ stat_uac
The values of the fields are currently: